After unboxing Echo remove plastic protection from the unit and plug its power supply into a wall socket. There will be LED circling on top, and after a while, Alexa will tell you to use the app for a complete setup. If you still have not downloaded it, follow these steps:
- Launch Amazon app on your gadget.
- Sign in with your Amazon account.
- Now go to your device’s Settings and Wi-Fi settings.
- Look for new Echo in the list, it will appear as Echo-2JZ. Click on it, and it will connect itself.
- Switch back to the Alexa app now. If it doesn’t start the process itself, click on three horizontal lines and select Settings>Set up a new device.
- Now select home Wi-Fi network from the list and enter a password.
- Now Echo will try to connect to your Wi-Fi network.
- Alexa now should announce that she is ready to go.
Now asking for time, try saying, Alexa tell the time, she should now respond with the current time. If you are blessed with more than one Echo device, then each one has to be set up individually.
Is it compulsory to say ‘Alexa’?
Not really, the default wake word is Alexa, but this can be changed to Amazon, Echo or computer by going to Settings in Alexa app. It is not allowed to choose your own wake word. For finding out the Settings:
- Tap on three horizontal bars at the top left corner of the app.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- To make her useful, set your location in Alexa App. This will be under Settings. You can change units of measurement for weather forecasts and distance.
Alexa is an amazing virtual assistant; it may not be perfect but is improving really fast. You can personalize it to perform so many functions for you. Enjoy the fantastic experience now.
About us :
Meer Ariif is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.